I’m using vSAN within my Homelab. In this post I explain the update (replacement) of the vSAN Witness Appliance. An update is a replacement in fact. You power up a new Witness Appliance, configures it, disable the Stretched Cluster and reconfigure this one with the new Witness.
Sounds to easy? But it is…
vSphere 6.5 is now GA. In this post I want to go through the upgrade process of the vCenter Server Appliance (vCSA). First thing I can say. It works really good :)
The upgrade process will create a new machine and transfer all data (you can choose between configuration + events + performance data) from the old one to the new vCSA.
Please think about, when to install the upgrade… All 3rd party software, which is using the vCenter must support the new version. If you have a lab this could be okay, but in your production it is not much fun, if backup or something else fails.
But now to the upgrade…
After installing Update 1 I’m getting the following error message when I log into the WebClient or click on the Customer Experience Improvement Program.
Migrations via WebClient also could not be startet because the wizards hangs at “choose network”
I’ve opened a call – stay tuned :)
I solved the problem by myself. I’ve backup the database, roles and permissions from the vCSA, installed a new one and restored the database, roles and permissions to it. Now everything is working and I am happy…
I’ve documented the whole procedure in this blog post (Backup vCSA and restore data on new vCSA)
My first install of vCSA runs in the same error and I got the same message “Error occured while…”. I could resolve this by deny the internetaccess for the vCSA. After that the installation ends with the functional vCenter Server Appliance :)
Yesterday (10 September 2015) VMware released vCenter Server 6.0. U1
Two month after the release of vCenter Server 6.0.0b the Update1 resolves issues in security, storage Web-/vSphere Client, VM management and HA/FT.
The full list of fixes can be found in the Release Notes for vCenter 6.0 Update 1.
Today I’ve found a little failure within our production environment.
We use icinga to monitor our production lan, its guests and services. For our Citrix XenApp servers we check the uptime to get notified if they are running to long without reboot.
After we upgrade several servers to vmx-10 everything works fine. Icinga reports all services and performance charts correctly. Now, two days later, the first uptime alerts came up. But the system boot time was only a few hours ago and not two days…
If we power off and power up the machine the uptime does reset.
The counter didn’t reset if the machine is only warm rebooted.
In my previous posts I wrote about the upgrade of vCSA (vCenter Server Appliance) from version 5.5 to 6.0.
In all my lab testing the upgrade runs without any errors. On our production site I was doing the upgrade and the migration went fine until the new appliance boots for the first time.
The services start all until the vPostgres database starts. Something in the upgrade script gives back an error. Installation abort and I must boot the old vCSA 5.5.
VMware closed my call, because of an unsupported way getting vCenter Server for Windows to the vCSA 5.5. Everything runs in the vCSA 5.5. The upgrade fails and with the migrated database there is no support.