On March 15th VMware has released the Update 2 for vSphere 6.
The VMware Host Client is one cool new feature of the ESXi update. HTML5 based and used for configuring standalone ESXi Host. You can also configure vCenter controlled ESXi Host, but there are often better ways with the central vSphere Web Client.
VMware acknowledged a known issue (KB2136854) within ESXi 6.0 and 6.0 U1. CBT looses the information of I/Os during snapshot consolidation. The main backup isn’t affected but all data written during the consolidation task are missed.
ALL CBT incremental backups are potentially affected.
VMware currently has no resolution.
VMware released a patch for the CBT bug.
VMware ESXi 6.0, Patch ESXi600-201511401-BG: Updates esx-base (2137546)
After I’ve installed the vCenter Server Appliance (vCSA) a few weeks ago the testing process is over and I’ve migrated our production vCenter to the new vCSA 6.0.0b. To be able to update and patch our ESXi hosts I want to install the vSphere Update Manager (vUM). Because there is no option to install the vUM on vCSA directly, you need a Windows host for installation.
Today I’ve found a little failure within our production environment.
We use icinga to monitor our production lan, its guests and services. For our Citrix XenApp servers we check the uptime to get notified if they are running to long without reboot.
After we upgrade several servers to vmx-10 everything works fine. Icinga reports all services and performance charts correctly. Now, two days later, the first uptime alerts came up. But the system boot time was only a few hours ago and not two days…
If we power off and power up the machine the uptime does reset.
The counter didn’t reset if the machine is only warm rebooted.
In my previous posts I wrote about the upgrade of vCSA (vCenter Server Appliance) from version 5.5 to 6.0.
In all my lab testing the upgrade runs without any errors. On our production site I was doing the upgrade and the migration went fine until the new appliance boots for the first time.
The services start all until the vPostgres database starts. Something in the upgrade script gives back an error. Installation abort and I must boot the old vCSA 5.5.
VMware closed my call, because of an unsupported way getting vCenter Server for Windows to the vCSA 5.5. Everything runs in the vCSA 5.5. The upgrade fails and with the migrated database there is no support.